Easy as pie? Is pie really easy? It's easy to eat, but not always easy to make. Excellence is easy to appreciate and enjoy, but getting there takes a while. Join me in my Pursuit In Excellence. It won't be quick , but it will be worth it!
For me excellence revolves around motherhood and grandmahood. It is central to my many interests which I use to help my children develop their talents and have fun.
I share my journey here, The Homemaking Cottage and Arizona Mama. Be sure to see what else is cooking!
Contact MeEmail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tag Archives: The Host
Halloween seems like a good day to share my book club on The Host – since it had aliens. Nothing says Halloween like a good alien abduction story!
I wasn’t too sure I’d like this book, but I wanted to be a good sport for my new book club so I read it with an open mind. My kiddos warned me it didn’t start getting good until chapter nine, but I was enjoying the story before I got to that point. And by the end, I was sad the story was over.
We had a good discussion about the book, even if the the teenagers thought the adults were reading too much into the story. I wonder if that’s an adult thing to look for meaning in a story beyond the cover of the book and in our own lives.
My friend made a good point about the story hitting close to home. Even though we aren’t fighting an alien invasion, we are continually fighting against evil we can’t always see. It can be exhausting, but we still must stay true to what we believe. It also led us to wonder, and hope, what our choices would have been in different time periods. Would we have been hiding Jews in our attic or been part of the underground railroad?
Our conversation strayed from the book and on to other topics. The social aspect is one of my favorite parts of the book club, along with the food. I wasn’t disappointed with that part either. We enjoyed a loaf of homemade pumpkin bread.
Next month we will be discussing The Help. What are you reading?
September’s almost over! This week flew by with several things going on in the evenings; last night was the first night we weren’t running somewhere. You’d think the busy schedule would spark lots of favorites, but sometimes it just wears me out. There are a few things that make me feel good.
- General Conference preparations – I picked up snacks and breakfasts for our Conference weekend.
- Candy corn – Our local grocery store didn’t have any, but I was able to pick some up on a run to Wal-mart this week. I can’t wait to finally decorate next week.
- The Host – Despite my disinterest in the Twilight series, Stephanie Meyer is a great storyteller.
I can’t forget to mention the cool things going on in the blogosphere.
- Seth Adam Smith shares a inspiring Book of Mormon challenge.
- Monzanita shares a Booing recap. I’m hoping next week settles down enough for us to play too!
- Since Halloween is the precursor to Thanksgiving (which is the precursor to Christmas), we might as well start thinking about pie! Latter Day Woman’s Jordan is on a Pie Quest and shares S’mores Pie.