Easy as pie? Is pie really easy? It's easy to eat, but not always easy to make. Excellence is easy to appreciate and enjoy, but getting there takes a while. Join me in my Pursuit In Excellence. It won't be quick , but it will be worth it!
For me excellence revolves around motherhood and grandmahood. It is central to my many interests which I use to help my children develop their talents and have fun.
I share my journey here, The Homemaking Cottage and Arizona Mama. Be sure to see what else is cooking!
Contact MeEmail me at email@example.com
Tag Archives: FHE
- I had lunch with a friend at a new favorite restaurant – Cafe Zupas. It was a little rushed since I needed to get to work.
- An awesome ANWA chapter meeting and write in. We discussed the big ANWA conference that I’m still digesting. There were so many amazing classes.We also found a lot of humor through out our meeting.
- A surprise visit from my in-laws.
- Girls night out was very eclectic with sushi and gelato. It’s important to experience foods from different parts of the world. We laughed so much in Charming Charlie’s. I can’t believe so many of the ladies hadn’t been there before.
I haven’t been keeping up with my favorite blogs as much as I would like, but here are a couple recent posts that caught my eye.
- Amazing family home evening post on scripture study from The Redheaded Hostess.
- Now I can make my own peanut butter filled pretzel bites with this recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod.
What were a few of your favorite things this week?
Welcome to today’s Family Home Evening! This time of year always seems to take a back to basics theme where we focus on the fundamentals of the gospel. Today’s lesson on gratitude is absolutely fundamental.
Opening Song: High on a Mountain Top
Scripture: Matthew 26:3-6
What is gratitude?
- It’s an attitude of thankfulness.
- We choose to have it or to focus on those things we don’t have or aren’t going our way.
How to we express gratitude?
- We express gratitude with our words, our actions and by making it a habit.
- Gratitude unexpressed is like a gift unopened.
Why do we need gratitude?
- To let people know we are grateful.
- To have good manners.
- We’re happier when we’re grateful.
- It’s a commandment.
- It helps us find the good in our trials. In her book the Hiding Place, Corrie Ten Boom wrote of an incident of living in a concentration camp where the beds were infested with flees. Her sister insisted that they express gratitude for the flees, much to her dismay. It turned out the flees kept the guards away and they were able to read and share their smuggled New Testament. This scripture study brought them peace, even though their surroundings were horrific.
Activity: Phase 10. We played the phases in reverse order to change it up a bit.
Closing Song: Scatter Sunshine
Treat: Ice cream
What does gratitude mean to you and your family?
Happy Sunday! Enjoy this week’s family home evening.
Opening Song: Give Said the Little Stream
Scripture: 1 Nephi 3:29
This lesson came from one of the EFY Family Home Evening DVD’s. It starts by reading the sacrament prayers in Doctrine and Covenants 20, verses 77 and 79. These prayers remind us of the promises we made at baptism, the atonement and Priesthood responsibilities. The other points of prayer that stood out were:
- Prayer is communication work. It also requires listening.
- Prayer is personal; be specific and thoughtful. Take a minute to plan what you want to say.
- Remember our relationship with Heavenly Father.
- Back up your prayers with action.
- Kneeling is a reverent position.
It’s also good to review how to pray.
- Address Heavenly Father
- Express gratitude
- Pray for inspiration
- Close in Christ’s name
- End with Amen
This lesson reminds me that regardless of how long you know something, there is always something more to learn. Especially because it’s so easy to get complacent; our prayers can become a repetitive habit and lose their meaning.
Activity: Hand print turkeys – We made turkeys from construction paper to send to family for Thanksgiving. I love to see how everyone expresses their creativity differently!
Closing Song: Love One Another
Treat: No Bake Cookies
How do you teach your family about prayer?