Easy as pie? Is pie really easy? It's easy to eat, but not always easy to make. Excellence is easy to appreciate and enjoy, but getting there takes a while. Join me in my Pursuit In Excellence. It won't be quick , but it will be worth it!
For me excellence revolves around motherhood and grandmahood. It is central to my many interests which I use to help my children develop their talents and have fun.
I share my journey here, The Homemaking Cottage and Arizona Mama. Be sure to see what else is cooking!
Contact MeEmail me at email@example.com
Category Archives: Education
The New Year is goal time and I don’t mean football. Before we get too far into 2015, I wanted to take this time to reflect on my progress on last years goals. I start each year recording my top 10 memories of the previous year and setting 10 goals for the new year.
Of last year’s goals, I completed five. I finished a couple of specific books. I attended a conference. I doubled my target of adding 2000 words to my book. Not only did I finish one class for my insurance designation, but I finished four of the five.
The other half of my goals, I didn’t quite achieve. I wanted to finish the first edit of my short story, but I didn’t even it touch it last year. Another goal was to lose weight, instead I gained weight. I made some progress on the others. I read half of a specific book, I worked on my scrapbook a little bit (and I do mean a tiny bit) and I read 14 of my 24 book goal.
It would be very easy to look at these unmet goals as failures, but I’m choosing to think about why I didn’t achieve those goals. I haven’t worked on my short story because I’m not ready to relive some of the memories the story triggers. I realized a couple of the goals aren’t as important to me right now. My lifestyle isn’t conducive to reading 24 books, so I scaled that goal back. And I didn’t have a plan to make the weight-loss goal become a reality.
- Finish my AIC insurance designation
- Go to a writing conference
- Add 5000 words to my book
- Blog monthly (maybe weekly if I can get back into the swing)
- Read 18 books
- Complete digital scrapbooks for 2011 -2014
- Lose 10 pounds
- Log in food journal 5x a week
- Get a promotion
- Exercise/play with the kids weekly
I’m hoping this is the balance I’m looking for between focusing my goals on what’s important to me while remaining attainable. I’d love to hear your goals for the year. We could support and encourage throughout the year.
Happy Flag Day! This week’s favorites have largely come from our Summer Bucket List Challenge. So far we have completed 15 items – and most of them were even fun. We had a streak of poor sportsmanship during a game. It was the Hunger Games board game, so maybe it’s hard to be a good sport when your playing a game about bumping off the competition.
- We attempted to attend the MCC Planetarium Night, but we arrived to late to get tickets. No matter, we watched a show about Pluto (poor demoted planet), looked at Saturn through a telescope and shot film canister rockets.
- We had our family book club for Deadweather and Sunrise.
- We tried frying an egg on the sidewalk, but it was too cold. (There’s something you don’t hear about an Arizona summer day very often!) We’ll have to try again when it hits 115.
- We made Father’s Day cards.
- Our ice cream social was a delicious success! There’s even some ice cream left over to make milkshakes; a list item for another day.
- Not a summer bucket list item, but we had another meeting planning the ANWA Writer’s Conference. It’s going to be so cool!
Were your Friday Favorites also you Summer Bucket List items? Share your favorites so I can use them for my family too!
I’m not exactly sure where May went, but I’m happy to share my favorites from the week before moving on to June! We had a good week, full of lots of good things.
- We had a blast a Flipside. Next time will be even better if we remember to wear closed toe shoes.
- After we emptied our play cards at Flipside, we headed to the mall and found some killer deals at Payless Shoes.
- We finished off the evening by redeeming a ColdStone gift card from 2011. We’re quick like that!
- The WordPress 10 year anniversary celebration! I’m kind of nerdy like that – and I want to learn more to make my blog better for you.
- A fitness themed Pack Meeting. I was in charge of a relay race with spoons and tennis balls. I also got to show off my mad juggling skills.
- I found some great continuing education classes through the local library. The $120 Quick Books class I was looking at through the local college was free! And there were tons to choose from.
- One of my kiddos initiated a cleaning session!
- This week I was blessed to participate in a soldier’s homecoming. They always make me cry. I’m so grateful for their sacrifice and that of their families. Some hadn’t seen each other for almost a year. I’m so glad they are home safely.
- We filled our summer bucket list and even completed our first activity.
What are the highlights from your week?