Happy Sunday! I’m glad you could us for this week’s Family Home Evening.
Opening Song: The Spirit of God
Scripture: Matthew 14:31
First we listened to a recording of the song “Called to Serve” and then discussed what it means.
- We need to work / have a job to do
- Missionary service
- We are all chosen to serve
- We should serve cheerfully and willingly
Next, we answered the question “What is service?”
- Doing something for someone else or yourself (in a nurturing, not selfish way)
- Doing something for Heavenly Father – In as much as you have done it unto the least of these my brethern, you have done it unto Me.
Finally, we talked about how to serve.
- Bring food
- Help others
- Visit others to uplift
- Do yard work
- Participate in the Helping Hands program
- Temple work
- Giving talks
- Giving gifts
- Including others
The most important thing to remember is that everyone can serve.
Activity: Family Mission Statement
We used some of the questions from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families to start putting together our own mission statement. The questions help us focus on what’s important to our family, so we can create an effective one for us. It’s important to divide this activity into small chunks to keep the native from getting to restless.
Closing Song: Called to Serve
Treat: Homemade milkshakes